How to create an Uber clone app?
Have you heard about Uber? It is one of the most outstanding app success stories we have around today. But this article is not about Uber, it is about you. How about you creating the next multi-billion-dollar taxi app? Don’t be scared, it is possible, and we will show you how to go about creating an app like Uber.
- 1 How to make an app like Uber?
- 2 An Overview of Uber
- 3 How Does Uber Work?
- 4 How to Replicate the Features in Uber
- 5 The Importance of UI and UX
- 6 User a Uber Clone App Template
- 7 The App Platform
- 8 Uber Passenger Features of Uber
- 9 Uber Driver-Related Features
- 10 The Admin Panel for Platform Administration.
- 11 The Technologies You Need for Building the App.
- 12 Geolocation
- 13 Push Notifications
- 14 SMS Features
- 15 Payment integration
- 16 The Case Studies of Apps Like Uber
- 17 Find a Software Development Company
- 18 A Final Word
- 19 General FAQ
- 20 How to create an app like Uber?
- 21 What are the Uber app passenger features?
- 22 What are the Uber app driver features?
- 23 What are the Uber app must have features?
How to make an app like Uber?
This article is a practical guide on how to create an app like Uber. It summarizes our experience of over 10 years in application development. If you follow this guide carefully, you can save lots of money and headache while developing an app like Uber.
Uber is one of the pioneers of taxi booking apps. The success of Uber inspired many other businesses to create similar apps. However, Uber remains the leader in that sector. The app was able to stay on top because of the simplicity and the convenience that users enjoy. This guide outlines how you can make an app like Uber. It also points out how other digital service providers in the sharing economy can elevate their business by taking a cue from Uber.
Below are the key points to know when developing an app like Uber:
- Creating an MVP is the first step.
- Don’t rush into coding.
- Create a functional prototype first.
- Essential strategies for app development
- Technology stacks and other intricacies of app development.
- The Admin backend and user frontend features of an app like Uber.
- Creating an app like Uber within budget.
- Generating revenue from apps like Uber
Before we proceed, bear in mind that the goal of this project is not just to create an uber clone, feature-for-feature. The aim is to include innovations that will give your app platform an edge over Uber.
An Overview of Uber
Let’s take an in-depth look at Uber and how it operates. This approach will give us an overview of what the development project entails. Let’s look at how Uber was able to gain a substantial share of the passenger taxi industry.
Uber is an excellent reflection of consumer’s disposition to affordable transportation. Within the first quarter of 2019, Uber had declared revenue of USD 16 billion. This figure reflects the fact that Uber is taking over the transport business globally in spite of the competition from other transport app service providers. Recent stats show that Uber is available in over 500 cities drawn from 60 nations of the world.
The brains behind this project are Garett Camp, Travis Kalanick, and a couple of friends. This first version of the app was on the iOS platform. Just within six months, the platform has garnered over 6,000 users and completed 20,000 rides. The success did not come overnight. The company hosted a couple of tech events and sponsored test rides in San Francisco, a tech-savvy city that readily embraces technology that makes life easier.
At this time, the Uber app is available on iOS and Android. It provides a simple way for users to commute without hassles, anytime, anywhere. At present, Uber handles over 10 million rides per day, and the userbase has snowballed to over 50 million users all over the world.
How Does Uber Work?
The Uber app is central to the services of the platform. The app handles trip requests, connects with the available driver, verifies both driver and passenger locations, and settles the payment after the trip. To aid your understanding of how to create an app like Uber, let’s analyze the steps required to complete an Uber ride.
- Step 1: Create a trip request by choosing a pick-up point and drop-off location. The user can also check the fare and specify the type of car preferred for the ride.
- Step 2: The user is required to verify the pickup location and other data supplied.
- Step 3: The App locates the Uber driver nearby. The driver can choose to accept the trip request or decline. The app would pass the request to the next available driver if the first driver declined.
- Step 4: The user is required to add a mode of payment to the platform before initiating a trip request. The platform accepts all major credit cards, PayPal, Android Pay, Apple Pay. Users can choose their default mode of payment.
- Step 5: Uber has an internal rating system that allocated a score to each trip that a driver handle. This rating allows the passenger to select the drivers they prefer.
The mode of computing trip fares is quite simple and effective. It takes both time and distance into consideration for every trip. The app charges the passenger per minute if the car moves slower than 16KM per hour. At a higher speed, the passenger is charged for the distance covered.
How to Replicate the Features in Uber
Let’s take a closer look at the features we would like to replicate in the Uber app. Essentially, the uber app is more like three apps in one. It has an admin panel for managing the business, an app for passengers, and another app for drivers. All these three app modules work together to make a successful Uber trip.
However, your app must have a landing page. This is where both drivers and passengers interested in your service will sign up. We have listed all the features that need to be in your Uber-like app. These features are separated into Passenger, Driver, and Admin features.
The Importance of UI and UX
Many app developers go straight into coding, this is not the right approach. It is best to first develop a prototype before you start messing up with codes. It will save you lots of money on development costs. Developing an app like Uber requires intricate planning that goes beyond the technical aspects and business concerns. You also have to focus on UI/UX. You must build an attractive and functional interface for the app users. So, it is best to focus on perfecting the UI/UX before working with codes. Here are a few guidelines to follow:
- User-friendly interface and experience are crucial
- The visual elements and graphics must be elegant and attractive.
- The taxi booking procedure should flow seamlessly.
This article below will guide you through the steps required to create a successful app. How to make an app? 13 steps for a successful application
User a Uber Clone App Template
Make sure you use templates to accelerate development and avoid recreating the wheel.
The App Platform
In your quest to develop an app like Uber, you should focus on building the app for a single platform for a start. This approach will save you loads of cash and expedite your apps speed to market. You can use a hybrid (cross-platform) development approach with a Mobile Backend-as-a-Service (MBaaS) to launch your MVP in record time.
Here is the summary.
- Select between iOS and Android
- Use a hybrid development approach
- Use an MBaaS
Uber Passenger Features of Uber
The passenger feature of the app must have the following functions.
- Registration: The user should be able to sign up with their email or social login to use the app. Phone verification shall be a vital part of the registration procedure.
- Book a Taxi: The user should be able to book a taxi by entering the pick-up and drop-off address and select a preferred car type.
- Driver Tracker: the passenger should be able to track the movement of the driver through the integrated map of the app.
- The Fare Calculator: The passenger should be able to view the bill of the taxi ride before starting the journey. This task can be a bit complicated for the backend team.
- Mode of Payment: Allows the passenger to make digital payment through PayPal, credit cards, and other channels.
- Push Notification: Sends updates to the passenger regarding the booking status, arrival time, exclusive deals, discounts, and other vital information.
- The Review System: Enables the passenger to rate the service of a driver at the end of the ride.
- Messaging: Allows the passenger to communicate with the driver from within the application interface.
- Usage History: Displays the history of rides, payment history, and other app usage statistics.
- Customer Support: Allows the passenger to seek help from customer service when there are challenges.
You can have the following features in the pipeline. Implement them in future versions as the app continues to mature. These features will enhance the user experience.
- The driver automatically discovers the passenger’s location and sets it as the pick-up location.
- Allow the user the option to cancel a ride after a specific time of placing an order for a trip.
- A feature that allows the passenger to check the position of all nearby cabs within the app.
- Splitting the payment for a taxi ride among a group of friends that board the ride.
- Schedule a ride on the app by simply selecting the time and location of departure.
- Using voice command to book a ride on the app platform.
- Add a panic button inside the app to make the platform safer for all users.
- A feature that allows a passenger to book a taxi ride for friends and family members.
Uber Driver-Related Features
Some of the functions that you’ve created for the passenger application can be reused for the driver app. Services such as messaging and push notifications, login functions, and access to support are useful for drivers as well. Moreover, the development structure remains the same for both apps.
Below are the features which are peculiar for drivers on the platform.
- Profile and Status: It is crucial to verify the details of every driver on your platform. Administrators should crosscheck vehicle papers, driving license, insurance, and other documents. The status of the profile shall show if the driver is available or on a trip.
- Trip Alert: The trip alert comes to play when the app selects a driver to handle a trip that a customer booked. The driver should have the option to accept or decline the order depending on the prevailing condition, such as destination.
- Navigation: The navigation function is useful for mapping the fastest route to the destination of the passenger. The map can also be used to choose the best path, depending on traffic conditions.
- Delivery Stat: it is also essential to add driver statistics into the app. Information such as the completed trip and earning can be calculated and reports generated.
Here are other advanced features you can include inside your taxi app.
- Preferred Destination: This feature allows the user to select a favorite destination. Such drivers will receive more orders for the chosen destination.
- Rewards: This option offers rewards to drivers that achieve specific benchmarks such as customer ratings, number of completed trips per month, and the likes.
- Waiting Time: Waiting time is essential to deter later arrivals for pickup. This feature should charge additional fares for passengers that fail to meet up with the driver after a specific timeframe.
- Forward Dispatch: the driver can accept additional trip assignments even before completing the current trip. This feature allows drivers to optimize their workflow.
The Admin Panel for Platform Administration.
The admin panel is an essential part of an app like Uber. It is used to manage and control the transactions between passengers and drivers. This feature is more like the control room of the entire taxi-hailing platform. Below are the high-level functions that your Uber-like app should have.
- Features for passenger and driver management.
- Administering locations and fares.
- Driver ratings and passenger reviews.
- Notification management.
- Booking management.
- Vehicles administration.
- Support functions for platform users.
- FAQ, and Knowledgebase.
- Content Management System.
- Integration of platform Analytics.
- Driver order and payoff reviews.
- Coupons, discounts, and promotion management.
You will find Backend-as-a-Service useful for developing the Admin panel of the app. You will save lots of time and won’t have to reinvent the wheel. Check here for details on how to manage your business?
The Technologies You Need for Building the App.
Besides knowing the features and functions that your Uber-like app should have, there is the technical aspect of the project to deal with. In this part of the article, we shall discuss the technical requirements for building an app like Uber.
If you want to create an app like Uber, you must leverage Geolocation technology since navigation and mapping technologies are integral parts of geolocation.
Here are some of the functions of geolocation:
- Identify the location of the user device through the Google API locators and CoreLocation framework for Android and iOS devices, respectively.
- Google Maps can be used to implement maps for both Android and iOS. You can also buy map services from other mapping application providers.
- MapKit and Google Maps APIs can be used to provide precise directions for drivers on iOS and Android users, respectively.
After you have completed the tasks related to geolocation, the next step is to tackle Push Notifications and in-app messaging. Reliable communication between the drivers and passengers is essential throughout all the stages required to hire a taxi. Besides, each party needs to be informed immediately after booking, acceptance, or cancellation of an order. That is why notification is crucial.
Although the procedure of coding for geolocation and push-notifications are complicated, you can implement both quickly by using Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS.) All the two functions are integral parts of BaaS platforms. So, the tasks of coding will be reduced significantly.
You can also elevate communication on your app platform by integrating SMS messaging features also. This is important in scenarios where the user might miss important notifications due to erratic internet connectivity. SMS will serve as an efficient backup media for notifying clients. Services you can use to accomplish SMS notifications include Twilio and many others.
The next important aspect that the development team must handle is the integration of a payment gateway. You should consider accepting all major credit cards in addition to other payment options such as PayPal. However, there are some policies you need to implement within your app because your app will be handling financial transactions. The policies differ slightly from one nation to the other. So, make sure you do your homework while integrating payment gateways into your app.
The Case Studies of Apps Like Uber
It is important not to focus on cloning the Uber app if you want to achieve the same success as Uber. Such business tactics will not yield positive results. Instead, you should make an app that adds value to the lives of people. You can start by creating a local taxi-hailing service that unites individual drivers under one umbrella. After succeeding, you can expand the scope of your operations.
Do you know that Uber has launched its own API? This is good news for those that want to use Uber’s model in another industry altogether. For instance, you can create an app like Uber in the following sectors.
- Provision of healthcare services.
- Home-service beauty care.
- Food and grocery delivery service.
- Transport services.
- Online shopping delivery service.
- Home repair and cleaning services.
Find a Software Development Company
Need developers to create your Uber-like app? Please find below a comprehensive list of curated software development companies.
A Final Word
Here is the summary of recommendations for creating a taxi-hailing service like Uber.
- Create your MVP
- Determine the crucial feature that your app needs.
- Streamline the demography your app needs to focus on.
- Make sure there is a demand for your market.
- Start by focusing on a niche market because Uber has taken over the general market.
- Hire reputable developers to create the app. See our recommended list of development companies.
- Collect user feedback and the information for continued development to make app successful
One of the factors that make Uber successful is that the company is a pioneer of the taxi-hailing service. Moreover, it is the company that first implemented such a business model on a global scale. At this stage, there is a need for innovation to be successful in the industry. You need to offer a unique service that adds value to your target audience. That is how to achieve the type of success Uber is enjoying.
How to create an app like Uber?
1 – Start with an MVP as the first step.
2 – Don’t rush into coding.
3 – Create a functional prototype first.
4 – Define the strategies for app development
5 – Define the technology stacks
6 – Code the admin backend and user frontend features
7 – Monitor your budget closely
8 – Start generating revenue
What are the Uber app passenger features?
The main features are:
– Book a Taxi:
– Driver Tracker
– The Review System
– Usage History:
– Customer Support
What are the Uber app driver features?
The main features are:
– Profile and Status
– Trip Alert
– Delivery Statistics
What are the Uber app must have features?
– Payment System
– SMS Notification