Dreamhost vs DigitalOcean | Which is the best?
A good website hosting provider is essential as it allows you to offer a high quality service to your customers.
Web hosting is used for multiple applications that include virtual stores, systems, websites, and blogs. An excellent hosting service provider helps improve your website’s overall performance and provides greater security.
If you are looking for a robust web hosting provider, you can look at DreamHost and DigitalOcean. These are considered among the best website hosting providers available today and offer users various hosting options.
In this article, we have compared these two popular hosting services. The information regarding this comparison will help you to make an informed decision about which one to choose to host your website.
What is Dreamhost?
DreamHost is one of the industry’s best hosting service providers and is considered one of the top WordPress hosting platforms.
DreamHost currently has more than 400,000 members and hosts more than 1.5 million websites. This popular hosting platform is one of the four chosen web hosting platforms endorsed by WordPress.
DreamHost’s one-click installation solution will be perfect for your specific needs if you are a beginner with little or no knowledge about server management.
This hosting platform is famous for its affordable pricing, fantastic performance, numerous resources, and tight security.
DreamHost offers the perfect solution if you are looking for high-performance and secure web hosting options. Some of the critical features of this web hosting platform include the following:
- Unlimited bandwidth and storage: You will get unlimited disk space if you use a shared hosting plan.
- Advanced, easy-to-use panel: It offers complete admin access to ensure your website provides the best customer service. It allows you to install WordPress in seconds, forward domains, create new email accounts, encrypt SSL and add users without hassle.
- 1- click installer: Use the 1- click installer to easily host your website correctly.
- Free domain: Get a free domain name from DreamHost to create a unique identity for your brand.
- Free email addresses: Promote your website with a professional and personalized email created for your domain.
- For protection: DreamHost masks your personal information at no extra charge.
- Free SSL security: The hosting platform offers a free “let’s encrypt” SSL certificate for your website, which helps improve your SEO score with Google.
- Automated backups: All your WordPress website’s data is backed up daily. This ensures the security of your website data in case your system crashes.
DreamHost has three hosting plans: Shared Starter, DreamPress, and VPS.
- Shared Starter: The shared starter is the basic plan, ideal for new sites. To subscribe to this plan, you must pay $ 2.95 per month. In this plan, you will get fast SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, unlimited traffic, a free domain, a free SSL certificate, a fully automated WordPress migration, a WordPress website builder, and more.
- DreamPress: This plan offers higher performance than the starter plan. To subscribe to this plan, you must pay $ 16.95 per month. This plan offers additional features, including 30 GB SSD storage, 100K monthly visitors, unlimited email, on-demand backups, 1-Click restore, one-click staging, and more.
- VPS: In this plan, you must pay $ 13.75 per month and host your site on trusted virtual private servers. You can post unlimited websites, traffic, unmetered bandwidth, and more.
In addition to these features, it has some other plans as well. To find out more about them in detail, visit the DreamHosting website.
What is DigitalOcean?
This New York-based vendor offers an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform to developers. Although DigitalOcean provides numerous services, its two main offerings are application and web hosting platforms. DigitalOcean is used for multiple purposes, including the following:
- To deploy Kubernetes clusters
- To create virtual machines
- To develop and deploy apps with the help of the App Platform
- To manage databases
- For block storage
- For networking tools like load balancers, virtual private clouds, and firewalls.
Digital Ocean features
DigitalOcean features can be organized into three broad segments.
There are multiple services offered under this segment; they are as follows:
- Storage limits: Pre-determined storage limits for individual hosting plans which can be expanded.
- Bandwidth allowance: Pre-determined amount of data that can be uploaded or downloaded at a specific time. For additional bandwidth, you have to pay an additional amount.
- CMS support: Allows a range of content management systems and one-click installation of CMS tools.
- E-commerce integration: You can install multiple e-commerce tools, like shopping carts, on your website.
- Security tools: The platform offers spam detection, firewall, Malware detection tools, site backup, and other security features.
Some of the services under this segment include the following:
- Public cloud: Public cloud capabilities.
- High-performance computing: The platform offers high-performance computing capabilities.
- Virtual Machines: The platform allows you to create and manage virtual machines.
- Virtual networks: You can use the virtual networking capabilities of this platform.
In this segment also, there are numerous features; some of these include the following:
- Pay by usage.
- Usage tracking
- Performance tracking
DigitalOcean offers multiple services at different price ranges. However, its two primary services include the following:
Droplets: If you want to access the virtual machine’s features, you should subscribe to this plan, for which you have to pay $ 4 per month. You can deploy a virtual machine in a few seconds and run any workload on it. Your workload could be mission-critical apps or even low-traffic sites.
Kubernetes: It is an extensible, portable, open-source platform. This platform allows you to manage highly containerized workloads and services. It will enable both automation and declarative configuration. The subscription for Kubernetes is $ 12 per month, and you get a free control plane.
There are numerous other pricing models that DigitalOcean offers. Visit their website to learn more about these pricing models and what features they offer.
DigitalOcean vs Dreamhost Comparison
|Overview||Domain name registar and web hosting provider.||The developer cloud platform.|
|Focus||Towards non-technical users|
(although developers are able to use it too)
|Advantages||Employee owned |
Passion for privacy
Growing number of products
|Core features||Web hosting|
|Free tier||For US qualified non-profits. (1)||Free credits|
Both DreamHost and DigitalOcean come with fantastic features and very competitive pricing plans. These two platforms have specific strengths that make them ideal for different requirements.
For example, DreamHost is suitable for those who do not have any server management experience.
On the other hand, DigitalOcean is perfect for those developers who want a high degree of control over their servers.
Therefore, first, identify your requirements, then choose which one of these two platforms fulfills them optimally.
What is DIgitalOcean?
The developer cloud platform. It provides IaaS services and additional products like managed databases, PaaS platform, functions, etc.
What is Dreamhost?
Domain name registar and web hosting provider.