Vercel vs Heroku – Which is the best?
This article will explore Vercel vs Heroku differences and similarities. It will cover both providers features, pricing, and customers.
Choosing the right cloud provider is essential for developers who prefer more control over their app hosting. Fortunately, the leading cloud providers also offer simplified app deployment experiences to developers.
However, when it’s about choosing the best cloud provider, always remember that not all offer the same features. Instead, each platform has key features and benefits that make it unique among others.
So, the best approach to choosing a cloud provider is understanding your project requirements first. Then look at the detailed overview of different cloud providers to make the right choice accordingly.
- 1 What is Vercel?
- 2 Vercel features
- 3 Vercel pricing
- 4 What is Heroku?
- 5 Heroku features
- 6 Heroku pricing
- 7 Heroku vs Vercel Comparison
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 FAQ
- 10 What is Vercel?
- 11 What is Heroku?
- 12 What are the differences between Vercel and Heroku?
What is Vercel?
Vercel is a leading serverless platform that backs static and hybrid apps. You can integrate this amazing serverless computing platform with your headless content, commerce, and database.
Above all, Vercel integrates perfectly with all your Next.js products to solve the critical issue of various top cloud providers.
- Moreover, Vercel also covers all essential features of Next.js the way it should, that’s too, without any configuration requirements. This thing makes Vercel a preferable solution for developers working with Next.js.
- Vercel has a front very similar to Apple. However, the working of this platform is a bit different. Vercel offers everything to combine first-class developer experience with top-notch end-user performance. It allows frontend developers to deploy their best work without any hassle.
- Additionally, working with Vercel and maintaining app infrastructure with this platform is just a piece of cake. Vercel offers you all the abilities to create next-generation applications with enhanced user and developer experience in the best possible way.
- Working with Vercel offers you top-notch development experience by managing app infrastructure and other hard aspects of the application development process. It also helps developers in instant app deployment, automatic resource scaling and globally personalized content to offer added benefits to its users.
Overall, the platform has made the app development process easy for frontend developers. It allows them to develop, preview, test, and maintain an excellent user experience throughout the application usage. Moreover, application developers and users can experience exceptional performance in the best possible way.
Do you want to know what makes Vercel more amazing? Let’s get to know about key features of Vercel to know more about the platform:
- Quick one-click integrations
Vercel offers quick integrations to add to any app development project with one click only. It helps you connect any planet-scale, fauna, and supabase for efficient data management capabilities. You can also integrate multiple headless CMS and configure previews and webhooks with one-click integration features.
- Simple dashboard for app management
Vercel has a very simple and intuitive dashboard where you can easily manage all your Vercel projects. Unlike other cloud providers, it has a well-organized dashboard to ensure quick and seamless app management. Here you can easily find anything necessary to track an existing or set up a new Vercel project.
- Built-in analytics to track app performance
Vercel providers app projects data in a meaningful and easier-to-navigate format. It offers real-time data collected by real application users to help developers understand their application’s progress more effectively. Ultimately, developers don’t have to run to emulated environments to assume how their applications would perform in the real world.
- Reliable infrastructure for multiple regions
Vercel is based on AWS and GCP platforms. This multi-channel foundation helps it work across the globe without any restrictions. It means this platform support multiple regions worldwide and works everywhere effortlessly.
Additional features include:
- Edge functions
- Custom APIs and CLI
- Intuitive frontend infrastructure
- Previews of workflow
Vercel platform offers a free version where you can start working on your project without paying anything. However, if you want to add more features, you can upgrade to the premium version of Vercel.
The paid version of Vercel starts from $20 per user monthly. However, enterprises can get their custom plans based on their specific needs.
What is Heroku?
It offers developers the reliability, flexibility, and scalability they need to quickly complete the app development process. Developers can use different tools and languages to develop apps with Heroku without worrying about infrastructure and server management.
Moreover, the platform provides a robust platform with numerous ready-to-use deploy buttons, add-ons, open-source buildpacks, etc., to ensure faster app development and deployment.
Developers can have a simple roadmap to convert their app idea into a working URL within no time. You can manage your apps in a secure and private environment with ease using Heroku.
Have a look at the key features of Heroku to know more about this platform:
Heroku is a lucrative PaaS provider that helps businesses build innovative apps quickly with modern infrastructure. It also offers précised scaling to meet application needs more effectively.
Moreover, the platform can accelerate your app development at an unmatched pace with extensive built-in, ready-to-use sources.
Quick software delivery
The platform offers an app-centric technique with its DX module for software delivery. It helps developers stay focused on what matters without getting in the process of servers and infrastructure management.
Instead, developers can utilize a simpler Heroku dashboard to deploy from multiple continuous integration systems directly.
OpEx module is another key feature of Heroku that helps developers troubleshoot and fix common problems quickly.
It helps in easier customization of applications’ operational experience to find and cure all negative trends that can affect the health of your application.
Additional features of Heroku include:
- Heroku runtime
- Data clips
- App metrics
- Heroku Redis
- Continuous delivery
- Smart containers
- Multiple add-ons
Heroku offers a free trial to kickstart any of your app development projects. In paid options, it offers three different pricing plans. These include:
- Hobby plan available at $7 per dyno per month
- The Standard plan starts from $25 per dyno per month
- The Advanced also starts from $250 per dyno per month
You can contact the service provider to customize any plan per your need.
Heroku vs Vercel Comparison
|Overview||A platform for static sites and frontend frameworks, built to integrate with your headless content, commerce, or database.||A PaaS provider supporting multiple programming languages to allow developers to build, run, and operate applications entirely in the cloud.|
|Year of Foundation||2015||2007|
|Focus||Focus towards the frontend||Focus towards the backend|
|Pricing||Pro – $20/mo/member|
Enterprise – Under quotation
|Hobby – $7/ dyno / month|
Standard – $25 / dyno / month
Advanced – $250 / dyno / month
So, here is an in-depth overview of two leading platforms to know more about Heroku vs. Vercel. Surely, this information will help you to make the right choice for your next app development project.
What is Vercel?
A platform for static sites and frontend frameworks, built to integrate with your headless content, commerce, or database.
What is Heroku?
A PaaS provider supporting multiple programming languages to allow developers to build, run, and operate applications entirely in the cloud.
What are the differences between Vercel and Heroku?
– Vercel focus towards the frontend
– Heroku focus towards the backend
– Vercel core features are Previews, Edge Functions, and Frontend Infrastructure
– Heroku core features are Container deployment, Databases, and Scaling