Flutter App Backend
SDK or software development kits are essential assets for the development of high-quality websites and applications. They include a wide variety of important tools, including documentation, libraries, processes, sample code, and guides, which developers can utilize.
Flutter is one of the most popular SDK options out there for modern businesses’ needs. It offers various convenient features and BaaS integrations for users. Flutter can be the right choice for your development needs.
This article will show the best Flutter backend options, and please read on to know more.
What is Flutter?
Flutter refers to an open-source UI toolkit that developers can use for mobile, desktop, and web platforms through a single codebase. Users can write code once and have it running across all platforms and devices.
Flutter makes use of the Dart programming language. It can be used for developing applications for iOS, web, and Android platforms. Flutter uses hot reload methodology for enabling a speedy development cycle. Developers can make changes to their Flutter application and have the same modifications reflected without delay within a UI. Flutter application release versions utilize ahead-of-time (AOT) compilation across iOS and Android platforms, enabling better mobile devices’ performance.
Flutter has a C++ based engine, enabling low-level rendering support through the Google Skia library. It is also capable of interfacing with iOS and Android SDKs. The Flutter Engine refers to a portable runtime used for hosting Flutter apps. The Engine is necessary for implementing Flutter file and network I/O, plugin architecture, core libraries, accessibility support, animation, and graphics, compile toolchain, and more.
To know more, please watch this 2 minute video developed by Google.
Want to start developing with Flutter? Please download a Flutter project with source below.
- Performance benefits – Flutter facilitates high performance as it uses Dart, which facilitates native code compilation. Flutter has its widgets and reduces the need for using OEM widgets. Better performance is facilitated as there is lesser communication between the platform and the application. As a result, users experience faster start-up times and freedom from performance problems.
- Open source – Flutter is an open-source offering, making it convenient for developers and emerging businesses’ needs. It is backed by a community of developers who help to provide support, documentation, and resources. Flutter and Dart are both available free of cost.
- Better compatibility – Flutter has its widgets, which translates to fewer compatibility issues for users. Due to this, developers witness fewer problems across different operating systems. It reduces the time spent on performing application testing for older operating systems. Flutter’s widgets can be customized and updated by anyone. User applications can utilize new widgets across old OS devices.
- Cross Platform – Flutter is a developmental tool that is compatible across multiple platforms. It is resource-efficient and preferred by developers. Software developers are able to utilize the same code base for creating Android and iOS applications. Cross-platform development helps to reduce resource utilization and saves a lot of time.
What is a Backend as a Service?
Backend as a service (BaaS) is a cloud model that helps developers automate backend development functions and achieve hassle-free cloud infrastructure management. A BaaS service provider is responsible for running servers and performing maintenance. BaaS gives developers several tools to help them create backend code and accelerate development. Some of the features of BaaS include APIs, file storage, data management, and push notifications.
In BaaS, APIs and SDKs are utilized for connecting applications to cloud backend services. BaaS APIs are built first and function as the base of iOS and Android platforms. Developers do not have to purchase any hardware if they use a BaaS service. It is considered as a flexible and hassle-free cloud service model. BaaS helps to simplify the creation of APIs.
Backend as a Service Benefits
- Scalable – Opting for BaaS can be advantageous as it offers a great deal of scalability to developers. Users can easily opt to scale their BaaS resources if and when the need arises.
- Hassle-free – BaaS is a hassle-free cloud service model as it does not require developers to perform any hosting or maintenance. The BaaS service provider handles all of these actions.
- Time-saving – A BaaS enables speedy development as users are not required to run and manage cloud servers. The readily available resources in BaaS make it convenient to perform key development actions. Application development is faster compared to several other cloud service models.
- More flexible – BaaS also offers a great deal of flexibility compared to other cloud service models. It is especially convenient for mobile app development and can also be used for web development and API deployments.
The best 5 backend services for your Flutter app
Want to discover the best backend for Flutter? These are some great Flutter backend options.
This is an open-source backend offering based on the Parse framework. Developers use it for the speedy development of scalable apps. Back4App is preferred for creating, hosting, and managing applications within an integrated platform. Developers can utilize Back4App for hosting APIs for web, mobile, and IoT apps.
|– Scalable Database (SQL or NoSQL)|
– APIs (GraphQL and REST)
– Cloud Code Functions
– File Storage
|– Free Tier|
– Shared hosting at $5/mo
– Dedicated hosting at $250/mo
This is an open-source framework used for the developing application backends. It is a sturdy development solution for mobile, IoT, and web applications. Parse offers support for frontend technologies, including Java, Swift, React Native, Ionic, and Xamarim.
|– Spreadsheet like database |
– APIs (REST and GraphQL)
– Social Login
– Automatic emails
|– Free to download|
– No hosted version
Is a popular BaaS platform from Google. It provides a broad range of features and components that help in mobile and web application development. Firebase is a NoSQL database platform program that follows the JSON protocol for carrying out data storage actions.
|– Realtime Databases (NoSQL)|
– REST API
– Scalable hosting
– Test lab
|– Free tier available |
– Pay as you go for paid plans
Is a MbaaS (Mobile backend as a service) offering several tools that enable fast and easy development. Backendless offers dedicated, cloud-based, and managed servers for users. It provides user-defined APIs.
|– Visual programming |
– Realtime database
– API Services
|– Free tier|
– Paid plans start at $25/month
Is another accessible cloud BaaS platform. It is among the most widely-used platforms today. AWS offers secure and agile offerings for its global user base. Users can experience fast access to their resources and advanced functionality with this backend service.
– GraphQL and REST APIs
|– Free tier available|
– Paid plans under Pay as you go
This article explained the advantages of using Flutter to create your mobile application and the five best backend providers to host it.
Why use Flutter?
Flutter refers to an open-source UI toolkit used for mobile development. The benefits include excellent performance, compatibility, and cross-platform development.
What is backend as a service?
Backend as a service (BaaS) is a cloud model that helps developers automate backend development functions and achieve hassle-free cloud infrastructure management.
What are the best backend providers for a Flutter app?
– AWS Amplify