The best backend services for your PHP app
PHP is the language of choice for developers across the world today, as it offers a wide range of powerful features. This versatile language has a plethora of applications, including static and dynamic websites and web applications.
It also offers various usability advantages for developers and reduces their coding efforts. PHP development requires a feature-rich backend for developers to get the intended application development outcomes. Choosing the best backend service for your PHP application can prove to be quite advantageous. Read on to know more.
- 1 What is PHP?
- 2 PHP Benefits
- 3 What is a Backend as a Service platform?
- 4 Backend as a Service Features
- 5 Backend as a Service Benefits
- 6 The best backend services for your PHP application
- 7 Back4app
- 8 Parse
- 9 Firebase
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 General FAQ
- 12 What’s PHP?
- 13 What’s a Backend as a Service?
- 14 What are the best backend services for PHP apps?
What is PHP?
PHP is a widely used server-side scripting language for developing web apps, static websites, and dynamic websites. The term PHP used to be an acronym for Personal Home Pages but now stands for Hypertext Pre-processor. This scripting language is embedded in HTML, and it can also be utilized in combination with web frameworks, web content management systems, and web template systems. Client computers access PHP scripts through a web browser. PHP files have PHP tags and have a .php extension.
PHP can be utilized for the management of session tracking, dynamic content, databases, and the creation of e-commerce websites. This language is integrated with several widely-used databases, including Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Informix, Sybase, and Oracle.
PHP has support for a wide variety of protocols, including IMAP, POP3, and LDAP. It can also be used for creating PDF file and image outputs and Flash videos. Developers can also quickly generate XML and XHTML files in PHP. Its versatility has made it a firm favorite for the development of agile and feature-rich solutions.
1. Easy to learn – PHP is widely regarded as one of the most natural server-side scripting languages to learn. Developers do not need to put in as much effort as with other web languages. PHP syntax is organized and logical.
2. Compatibility and effortless integration – PHP enjoys compatibility with a large number of operating systems. It is also supported by various platforms, including Solaris, Linux, and UNIX. With PHP, developers are not required to redevelop existing software due to its integration with Java and other technologies. Using PHP helps developers conserve time and expenses.
3. Optimal Flexibility – PHP offers a high amount of flexibility to make development and code management convenient. The level of flexibility it provides can help modify functionality anytime without causing any issues. Developers can quickly implement changes anytime after a project has started, leading to considerable time savings. Identifying and using the best backend service for your PHP application can help to maximize its flexibility.
4. Cost-effective – PHP is a free and open-source development language. Developers can instantly start using it without having to pay any software or licensing expenses. It functions effectively with various databases, including Apache, PostgreSQL, and MySQL. As a result, the cost of developing websites with PHP is quite low.
5. Performance efficiency – Optimal development approaches can help programmers get a high level of performance from PHP. The language offers substantial scalability if utilized for writing code. It can also be utilized for the development of a wide range of applications. Many developers prefer the efficient performance of PHP for creating multi-page websites.
What is a Backend as a Service platform?
Backend as a service (BaaS) refers to a cloud service model utilized by developers for effective and agile cloud infrastructure management. It facilitates instant backend development automation and offers several convenient features, including APIs, push-notifications, file storage, and data management. A BaaS provider manages all aspects of setting up, running, maintaining, and configuring servers.
SDKs and APIs work as connectors between applications and cloud backend services within a BaaS setup. BaaS APIs work as the bases of Android and iOS applications. Using this cloud service model reduces the need for developers to make any hardware investments. BaaS is widely preferred due to the level of flexibility it offers to API developers.
Backend as a Service Features
- Database – Backend as a service provides real-time, cloud-hosted NoSQL databases for storage and syncing of essential data. Databases also facilitate effortless collaboration across multiple devices.
- Authentication – BaaS has reliable and secure user authentication options. Developers and business owners can stay free of any authentication-related concerns.
- Hosting – BaaS setups offer convenient hosting features for the needs of web and mobile application developers. Many essential application functions use BaaS hosting.
- File Storage – BaaS providers offer cloud-based file storage and effortless management. Users can easily store and access multimedia and other types of data without reliance on physical storage.
- Push Notifications – BaaS facilitates push notifications functionality for applications across most widely-used mobile platforms. This feature is facilitated through APIs.
Backend as a Service Benefits
- Scalable – Developers widely prefer baaS as it offers remarkable scalability. Developers utilizing a BaaS model can perform fast scaling based on their requirements.
- Ease of use – Most BaaS services are known for the ease of use they offer to developers. Using a BaaS option reduces the need for carrying out hosting and maintenance activities.
- Reduce development duration – BaaS facilitates easy and hassle-free development as server management is minimal. It offers instant access to essential resources.
- Optimal flexibility – Developers using BaaS can get comparatively more flexibility than most other cloud service model options. BaaS helps to perform fast web and mobile app development and API deployments.
The best backend services for your PHP application
Here are some great backend options for your PHP app.
Back4App is an easy to use relational backend service. It is one of the most widely-used open-source backends and PHP backend options to consider. Back4App is known for the flexibility and functionality it offers during development.
- Relational Queries
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- GraphQL and REST APIs
- Scalable hosting
- Free tier
- Cloud hosting starting at $5/month
- Private clouds starting at $250/month
Parse is one of the best backend options for developing web, mobile, and IoT (Internet of Things) applications. It supports Java, React Native, Swift, Xamarim, and Ionic frontend technologies.
- Spreadsheet like database dashboard
- Downloadable and self-hosting
- Free to download
Firebase is another popular BaaS platform for PHP application development. It is a NoSQL service incorporating the JSON protocol for performing data storage actions.
- Realtime databases
- Machine Learning
- Offline synchronization
- Multi region hosting
- Free tier
- Pay as you go
Finding the best backend service for your PHP application can make a world of difference for your development workflows. Get in touch with a leading software development expert to gain more insight into the options mentioned above.
PHP is a widely used server-side scripting language for developing web apps, static websites, and dynamic websites.
What’s a Backend as a Service?
Backend as a service (BaaS) refers to a cloud service model utilized by developers for effective and agile cloud infrastructure management.
What are the best backend services for PHP apps?