AWS Amplify vs Firebase
Technology is evolving with every passing day. And over time, mobile consumers are also demanding more and more features and top-notch technology in their applications. From social integrations to easier data management and cloud storage, they want everything to make a great application with ease.
Due to more requirements of feature-rich applications, it seems complicated for developers to manage development processes. But the reality is not the same anymore. It is because the arrival of useful backend as a service platforms are helping developers to accelerate their development process.
Here is what you will learn reading this article:
- What is AWS Amplify Key Features, Pricing Structure, Advantages
- What is Google Firebase? Key Features, Pricing Structure, Advantages
- AWS Amplify vs. Google Firebase Comparison
What is AWS Amplify?
AWS Amplify is an effective application development framework which can help you in developing efficient mobile and web applications. This platform is backed by Amazon web services. This platform is basically an open-source java script library which is intended to make web and mobile application development processes easier.
AWS amplify is actually a set of libraries, user interface components, command line interface which can help you to build backend of your any application. You can easily integrate its backend features with your applications built in Android, React Native, iOS, or web frameworks such as Ionic, angular, or react. It offers a complete stack development without any stress about background configurations or iterations.
Furthermore, AWS Amplify is aiming to provide an amazing end to end platform which will let you create and maintain cloud enabled applications which can let you deliver native like experiences in a more effective way. When backend is serverless, then ultimately developers will get more time to focus on the core functionalities and user experience of their applications.
It is because this approach will offer more time and energy to developers to focus on application experience and efficiency rather than spending hours on the processes of configuration, maintenance and performance of their backend services.
All and all, AWS amplify is based on a set of components and services which can help developers to streamline their mobile and web applications’ development processes in the best possible way.
AWS Key Features
- Data Store
- Offline Sync
- AR and VR
- API (REST and GraphQL)
AWS Amplify Pricing
Pricing for Amplify is similar to other AWS products and it includes a limited Free tier and a Pay as you go model for additional usage.
- Free Tier: 5GB storage, 1,000 builds, expires after 12 months
- Pay as you go: $0.01 per build minute, $0.023/GB/month
Benefits of AWS Amplify
Do you want to know benefits of AWS Amplify which are making it an amazing BaaS solution? Have a look at the following benefits to get a better idea about the things in this regard:
- Works with an Open-Source Framework
- Fully integrated with AWS Cloud
- Offline synchronization via device data store
- Works with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Works with GraphQL and REST APIs
- AWS amplify is offering an easier and faster way to develop cloud connected, full stack web and mobile applications.
- This platform is completely scalable. More amazingly, you only have to pay for the services you need in your application. There is no need to pay extra.
- AWS amplify is leveraging services like AppSync and AWS Lambda which will keep you away from the stressing processes of managing hosting and infrastructure for your applications.
- It offers modern user-interface driven approach to create easier and scalable applications.
- AR/VR, appealing text and voice interfaces and 3D scenes can let you enjoy better user-management.
- It makes application development faster with built-in support for the management and deployment of backend services.
- Enjoy best native like experience without even paying high.
- Automated mobile application test to release new features and updates rapidly.
What is Google Firebase?
Firebase is an amazing BaaS platform which has grown as a next-generation application development solution on Google Cloud platform. Firebase can free developers to focus more on crafting fantastic user-experience with its highly innovative solutions.
When you are using firebase as your BaaS solution, then you don’t have to manage servers. Even there is no need to write your APIs. It is because firebase is an all in one solution for you to consider. It is your API, datastore, as well as server too.
Most amazingly, entire backend functions here are written so generically that you can modify them to suit as per your application needs with ease. Although you might need some other bits of Google Cloud in your advanced applications occasionally but other than that it can perform well in every aspect.
Firebase is based on latest technology which has the ability to let you enjoy swift and easier development of web and mobile applications, which can be run on multiple platforms including iOS, web, Android. Firebase solution is dominating and innovating the market of BaaS solutions on a continuous basis. It has grown to the extent that it has become a key component of Google’s mobile strategy.
There are tons of people out there who have become enthusiast users of this platform due to its advanced solutions. Firebase is leading developers to create some of the most amazing and advanced applications with its diverse range of features.
Firebase Key Features
- Real time database
- Cloud Firestore
- Machine Learning
Firebase provides two plan for their customers. The Spark Plan is ideal for developing application and small apps and provides a Free Tier. The Blaze plan works with a Pay as you go model and charge. you all the limits exceeded over the free tier.
- Spark Plan, Free Tier, ideal for development and small apps
- Blaze Plan, pay as you go model, and ideal for large production apps
Benefits of Firebase
Here are some of the most amazing benefits of firebase as a Backend as a Service solution which you must consider:
- Best in class realtime capabilities
- Seamless and easy to use console
- Fully integrated No-SQL data store
- Proprietary platform backed by Google
- This BaaS solution has the ability to offer a complete host of various services which are essential to create and maintain web and mobile applications.
- Firebase is providing highly flexible, and scalable backend solutions you can easily rely on.
- It can offer you an amazing range of highly innovative and effective solutions to implement multiple features. Even more, you can also mix and match its complementary features to fulfill your application’s needs in the best possible way.
- It provides instinctive APIs in single SDK which can let you meet multiple users’ requirements with ease.
- Effective analytical solution of firebase can also help developers and companies to make data driven and smart decisions.
- Firebase can also allow developers to deliver effective cross-platform applications along with APIs even in a single package.
Similarities between AWS Amplify and Google Firebase
- Both are app development platforms
- Scalable architecture
- Designed for mobile and web apps
- Both services deliver Realtime updates
Amplify vs Firebase | Key Differences
|AWS Amplify||Google Firebase|
|Foundation||Started in 2018||Started in 2011|
|Platform||Open-Source Framework||Proprietary Technology|
|Parent Company||Backed by Amazon||Backed by Google|
|Cloud||Integrated with AWS||Integrated with GCP|
|API||REST and GraphQL APIs|
REST APIs only
|Database||The way AWS is structured it allows you to integrate the framework with Relational and Non-Relational databases.||Google Firestore is a NoSQL database.|
|Offline Synchronization||On device data store||Cached data|
|Supported Platforms||iOS, Android natively or via frameworks||iOS, Android natively or via frameworks|
|Realtime Capabilities||Yes via PubSub||Yes via Firestore or Realtime database|
|Storage||Directly on S3||Google Cloud Storage|
|Console||Provisions other AWS services via CLI||Console with a seamless integrated experience|
|Repositories||Connects to Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket||You need to setup Google Cloud Build. Please refer to this article.|
With tons of available options as backend as a service platform, it is becoming difficult to find out which platform can work better. To help you in a better selection, we have brought a comparison between AWS Amplify and Firebase. This AWS Amplify vs. Firebase will undoubtedly help you to make a better choice as per your application needs.
Want to know more about backend platforms? Please read, the article BaaS | Backend as a Service.
What is AWS Amplify?
AWS Amplify is an effective application development framework which can help you in developing efficient mobile and web applications. This platform is backed by Amazon web services.
What is Firebase?
Firebase is a BaaS platform which has grown as a next-generation application development solution on Google Cloud platform.
What are the AWS Amplify benefits?
– Open Source
– Local device data store
– Supports No-SQL and SQL databases
– Supports GraphQL and REST APIs
– Integration with AWS
What are the Google Firebase benefits?
– Best in class realtime capabilities
– Easy of use and fully integrated console
– Runs on Google cloud