OpenShift vs Heroku
Container management platforms are commonly used by developers to launch, secure, and test their applications in a quick and resource-independent environment. Containers usually include libraries, applications, or source code collection that can be deployed or used on-demand.
However, effective container management platforms are meant to support their users’ designated sources to balance system workloads and optimize performance in the best possible way.
Developers and companies can utilize container management platforms to avoid the complexities of system architecture and streamline container performance more effectively.
- 1 OpenShift vs Heroku: Which one to choose?
- 2 What is Red Hat OpenShift?
- 3 What is Heroku?
- 4 Heroku vs Openshift Comparison
- 5 Quick Conclusion
- 6 FAQ.
- 7 What is OpenShift?
- 8 What is Heroku?
- 9 What are the differences and similarities between OpenShift and Heroku?
OpenShift vs Heroku: Which one to choose?
However, when it comes to choosing a container management platform, there are tons of options available in this regard. Therefore, choosing the right option sometimes can become pretty overwhelming.
So, to make things easier for you in this regard, here we have brought two of the best container management platforms or PaaS solutions. So that having a detailed review can let you know better which one to choose for the next projects.
What is Red Hat OpenShift?
OpenShift is one of the most amazing Platforms as a Service solution by Red Hat. It is meant to enable developers of all types and levels to develop, scale, and host applications quickly in cloud settings.
OpenShift also offers its users a choice between open-source projects, on-premises services, and online services. So, developers can easily choose the one they find more convenient and effective for them.
It is a PaaS solution that is more focused on applications security and developer’s experience more effectively. It can let you create and deploy applications to one or more hosts easily. These can be anything from backend applications to public-facing applications, including databases or microservices as well.
Most importantly, Red Hat OpenShift allows you to implement applications created in multiple coding languages.
When you use OpenShift as a Container as a Service solution, it will offer you a pre-existing container image built to the OCI (OpenShift Container Initiative) Image spec (Image Specification) and deploy it.
With OpenShift, the application source code includes a docker file with specifications or instructions to develop a docker image. Overall, this Platform is meant to bring convenience to your development process in multiple ways.
OpenShift Core Features
Do you want to know what makes OpenShift a more amazing platform? Let’s look at the key features of OpenShift below to get a better idea about the things in this regard.
So, here we go:
- Standardized Developer Workflows
- Multiple Language Support
- REST API
- Dependency and Build Management
- Automatic application scaling
- QuickStart Templates
- Multiple Database options
- Source Code Version Management
- Extensible Cartridge System
- Partner programs
- Responsive web console
- IDE integration
- Rich Command-Line Tool Set
- Remote SSH Login
- Restore, backup, and Clone with application console
Red Hat OpenShift lets users develop, launch, scale, and host myriad applications in an independent container system and public cloud environment.
It also allows developers to administer and develop powerful and advanced containerized applications with the help of their own OpenShift cluster in the best possible way.
- Even more, being a PaaS (Platform as a Service) provider, users can also enjoy various other benefits by using this Platform, such as accelerated application development, cost-effective solutions, application hosting, quick deployment, along various others.
- Additionally, developers can also use this solution for enterprise-grade application development.
- Most importantly, OpenShift can also let its users create feature-rich applications by using their preferred tools and languages without any restriction. Use of git push feature is here for added convenience.
With all that developing a powerful application will become a breeze. Overall, OpenShift comes up with a collection of tools and services to streamline development and deployment processes and manage the overall application development process in the best possible way.
What is Heroku?
Heroku accords all of its users with the reliability and flexibility they require in application development. It allows them to use their preferred languages and tools they are accustomed to while retaining the trust and control that enterprise demand.
It can also provide robust and effective integrated data services and an ecosystem that is meant to simplify the development, management, and maintenance of modern applications.
In short, this solution can provide a more simplified solution that can help you to convert an idea into a working URL without any infrastructure management hassle. Heroku allows its users to develop, deploy, scale, and manage applications in the best and fastest way possible.
Overall, this Platform can let you manage and maintain applications in a securer and private space with access to trusted infrastructure.
Heroku Core Features
Let’s have a look at the core features of Heroku to know more about this Platform effectively:
- Heroku runtime
- Smart containers
- Data and Code rollback
- Apps metrics
- Data clips
- Continuous delivery
- Heroku Redis
- Heroku PostgreSQL
Do you want to know how Heroku can benefit you in multiple ways? Let’s have a look at the details below to get a better idea about the things in this regard:
- Heroku is a highly secure and end-to-end encrypted Platform enabling developers and businesses to innovate quickly. It can let you develop applications with modern architecture and scale your apps precisely to meet applications’ needs more effectively.
- The developer experience module of Heroku can provide developers with an application-centric technique for software deployment. It allows developers to stay focused on what matters the most, even without servers and infrastructure management hassle.
Even more, the intuitive web-based dashboard can let you control, manage, and deploy your applications without any hassle. You can even deploy from Git, GitHub, or any other integration system directly.
Looking for Heroku alternatives? To know more, please read the article Top 10 Heroku Like Platforms.
Heroku vs Openshift Comparison
|Description||Enterprise-ready container platform||Cloud platform as a service supporting multiple coding languages.|
|Parent Organization||Red Hat||Salesforce|
CI/CD and Repositories
Monitoring and Logging
Continuous integration and delivery
|Pricing||Please refer to the pricing page for more information.||Free tier |
Paying plans start at $7 per month
Overall, both Heroku and OpenShift provide an amazing range of services to ease and convenience in the development and deployment of apps. However, when choosing one of them, you can simply go with the Platform that suits your project needs more.
What is OpenShift?
Enterprise-ready container platform.
What is Heroku?
Cloud platform as a service supporting multiple coding languages.
What are the differences and similarities between OpenShift and Heroku?
– Both are PaaS solutions
– Both are container management solutions
– OpenShift is from Red Hat
– Heroku is from Salesforce
– OpenShift offers cloud and on-premises deployment
– Heroku offers cloud deployment